Introducing Captions (BETA)

Over the past few weeks I’ve been experimenting with captions on the videos. This can be helpful for a number of reasons:

• Offering up videos to people with impaired hearing
  • Useful for times when you are situationally impaired, like in a loud room (or really quiet room) and you don’t want to disturb others
  • I can extract a rudimentary transcript out of the captions in order to provide more long-term value on each episode (possibly improving SEO as well).

This is currently live on a handful of recent episodes, and I’ll be doing this on all future episodes if people find it valuable.

You’ll know if an episode is captioned if there’s a Transcript tab on the episode page:

On the web player, you can toggle captions on or off with the CC button:

I’ve also extended support to the iOS and tv apps, which you can enable in the subtitles menu (just like you would on a movie):

Technical side note
The subtitles support for the apps leverages HTTP Live Streaming segmented subtitles, and so currently it only works for streaming episodes. If there’s enough demand for it, I’ll add in support for offline subtitles as well, but doing so requires a slightly different approach.

Providing captions requires an increase in workflow, support, and operational costs, so if this is something you find valuable please let me know!

I’m not a native English speaker. Rarely I might not understand a word first time I hear it. I am used to re-listen a part of the movie. Thus, the captions is something I could do without, however they are a nice addition in those moments in which listening could be confusing.