Scroll to the bottom of the tableView before view is on screen

Hello,

I’m currently building an app which has a chat integrated.

I want the default behavior of iMessage & WhatsApp where you tap on one conversation, you land automatically to the bottom of the tableView/collectionView.

I don’t want the user to notice the scrolling to bottom of the tableView/collectionView.

Thank you in advance.

You should be able to achieve this by scrolling to the row without an animation:

override func viewWillAppear(_ animated: Bool) {
    super.viewWillAppear(animated)
    tableView.scrollToRow(at: lastIndexPath(), at: .bottom, animated: false)
}

private func lastIndexPath() -> IndexPath {
    let row = tableView.numberOfRows(inSection: 0) - 1
    return IndexPath(row: row, section: 0)
}

You may have to add some checks in here to avoid scrolling to the bottom every time they come back to this screen (perhaps if they scrolled up manually) – but putting this code in viewDidLoad is too early.

Hey Ben, thank you,

This is the current implementation I have, but I notice that even when placing this code in the viewWillAppear, the user still get a glimpse of the tableView scrolling to the bottom and this is the effect I want to avoid.

The way we implemented something like this is to put new messages at the top, and flip the table with
tableView.transform = CGAffineTransform(scaleX: 1, y: -1)

Now your top cells are at the bottom. And, of course, they’re upside down. So, you flip them too.
cell.transform = CGAffineTransform(scaleX: 1, y: -1)

Awesome,

Thank you very much Kyle for your response. After a few tricks, like reordering the list of messages to ascending order, it works the way I expect.

Cheers :slight_smile:

:exploding_head:

That is amazing.

(I am curious why scrolling to the bottom non-animated doesn’t work though.)

It does indeed work since it scrolls to the bottom of the tableView, but the user still sees for 1s the tableView jumping to the bottom of the list even though I call the method on viewWillAppear.

But Kyle’s solution is definitely the one I was looking for.

Anyway, thank you both for your responses and your time.

Cheers